ADD and ADHD
A diagnosis typically given during childhood or adolescence, ADHD and ADD can manifest in a variety of ways for both children and adults. In children and adolescents, ADHD symptoms tend to include poor focus, concentration, impulsivity and hyperactivity. For adults, this also includes difficulty in organization, tendency to be forgetful, easy distractability and hyperverbalness. Through the advanced psychological testing available at Seasons, we can help identify and diagnose ADD and ADHD in adults.
ADHD and ADD can be caused by:
- Brain anatomy and function. A lower level of activity in the parts of the brain that control attention and activity level.
- Genes and heredity. ADHD frequently runs in families. A child with ADHD/ADD has a 1 in 4 chance of having a parent with ADHD/ADD. It’s also likely that another close family member, such as a sibling, will have ADHD/ADD. Sometimes, ADHD is diagnosed in a parent at the same time it is diagnosed in the child.
- Significant head injuries may cause ADHD/ADD in some cases.
- Prematurity increases the risk of developing ADHD/ADD.
- Prenatal exposures, such as alcohol or nicotine from smoking, increase the risk of developing ADHD/ADD.
- In very rare cases, toxins in the environment may lead to ADHD/ADD. For instance, lead in the body can affect child development and behavior.
Treating ADHD and ADD
Both diagnoses can be addressed and treated in a variety of ways, including but not limited to: group therapy, individual therapy, family therapy, applied behavioral analysis (ABA), medication management and a structured daily plan facilitating positive reinforcement.
If you or a loved one needs treatment for ADD/ADHD, please call one of our caring, admissions counselors now for a free, no-obligation and confidential conversation about how The Beach Cottage at Seasons in Malibu can help.
Let’s Talk 424-235-2009