Seasons in Malibu helps clients develop healthier personal and romantic relationships. Addiction and co-dependency often go hand in hand. Codependency describes an individual suffering from difficulty in reconciling their own needs, their own values and their overall sense of self. This condition occurs as a result of a dysfunctional relationship with. another person. People struggling with codependency typically have difficulty expressing their personal thoughts. They can have low self-esteem, look to their codependent partners for approval, and experience immense difficulty in making their own decisions.
Codependency is not a diagnosis but a symptom that can be linked to a variety of diagnoses, including but not limited to: major depression, anxiety, PTSD, and substance use.
Here are some red flags codependency could be happening in your relationships:
- People pleasing: You go above and beyond to make others happy. You might avoid confronting your partner about important issues because you fear rejection, or worry more about a partner’s feelings than your own.
- Define your self-worth by others: Do you care too much about what others think of you?
- Ignore red flags: Do you ignore a partner’s dishonesty, possessiveness, or jealous tendencies?
- Give too much in a relationship: You might even ignore your own self-care, or feel that you’re being selfish if you engage in self-care.
- Have poor boundaries: This can mean you have trouble saying “no” to the requests of others, or allow others to take advantage of you.
- Stay in a relationship with someone who is distant, unavailable, or abusive: Even though you know deep down inside that they may never meet your emotional needs, you remain in the relationship.
Like many underlying conditions, codependency can be treated and addressed through therapy, identifying maladaptive patterns, increasing insight and offering adaptive solutions to enable healthy self-nurturing.
If you or a loved one needs treatment for Codependency, please call one of our caring, admissions counselors now for a free, no-obligation and confidential conversation about how The Beach Cottage at Seasons in Malibu can help.
Let’s Talk 855-869-5332