Depression can sometimes be difficult to spot in many individuals. Particularly in adults. The symptoms of depression can look very different from one individual to another. Like most behavioral disorders, it is important to pay attention to changes in your baseline functioning. The onset for depression can vary depending on a precipitating event, the introduction of substance use to mask the symptoms or genetic pre-dispositions that can contribute to deficits in your daily life. If you are curious about whether you or a loved one are suffering from depression, some of the following could be signs for you to seek help.
Early Signs of Depression
- Loss of interest in activities you would normally enjoy
- Changes in sleep patterns, either sleeping more or less than usual
- Uncontrollable tearfulness or marked changes in your mood
- Irritability or difficulty focusing or paying attention
- Excessive feelings of guilt or shame
- Changes in energy, loss of enthusiasm or feeling unusually lethargic and unmotivated
- Changes in appetite, or unusual weight loss or gain
- Thoughts that revolve around self-harm
- Feelings of hopelessness and helplessness
Why Depression Happens
- Family history of depression or suicide
- The abuse of substances such as alcohol, narcotics and amphetamines
- Traumatic event experienced or witnessed (i.e., death of a loved one, serious accident, medical event, war)
- Head trauma (i.e., concussions, accidents)
- Chronic stress or overwhelming need for physical and mental attention
- Strained relationships
The impacts of depression have been witnessed in a variety of ways in our society. Our unique depression therapy programs in Malibu, CA can change peoples lives. Untimely deaths of beloved celebrities, musicians and artists highlight the devastating outcomes. Depression is the number one cause of disability in the United States for adults between the ages of 15 to 44 (Anxiety and Depression Association of America).
Severe Impacts of Depression
- Loss of job
- Loss of relationships
- Loneliness or isolation
- Poor coping skills and inability to attend to daily activities
- Family problems and potential for family transmission process
- Increase in substance use
- Poor hygiene
How Depression Treatment Can Help
Understanding the severity of mental illness, Seasons works diligently in providing cutting edge evidence based depression therapy with comprehensive assessments, medication management and holistic services geared towards your individual needs. Mental health intervention cannot be treated the same way for each individual. Your background, family history, current support system, co-occurring issues, trauma, baseline functioning, all have to be independently evaluated and taken into consideration with determining the right plan for you. Seasons has a remarkable reputation for both the strictly Doctorate level therapy and number of individual sessions received while in our care. Our goal is not just to make the client better, but to help the entire system be able to support the healthiest level of functioning.
Our depression treatment facility offers a variety of solutions that can assist in the following ways.
- Symptom management: Depression can come and go but it does not have to rule your life. Utilizing some emotional coping techniques, along with medication management (if you desire) can facilitate a speedy recovery and a comfortable living without pain.
- Increase in energy, motivation, concentration.
- Improving relationships, understanding the core of why your depression occurred and facilitating communication with loved ones.
- Focusing on sustainability versus a quick fix. Pairing with outside providers that can continue to offer an extension of Seasons.
- Insight and awareness to minimize further harm to self or others.
- Harm reduction, particularly with the use of substances or other unhealthy coping skills.
- Providing the optimal level of functioning.
If you or a loved one needs depression treatment, please call one of our caring, admissions counselors now for a free, no-obligation and confidential conversation about how The Beach Cottage at Seasons in Malibu can help.
Let’s Talk 855-869-5332